The Biochemistry, Genetics and Cell Biology, and Microbiology majors in the School of Molecular Biosciences provide a perfect home for the student who is interested in pursuing professional education after graduating from WSU. Our degrees have been designed to prepare students to succeed in these professional programs, as well as on the latest versions of the standardized examinations for admission to professional programs including the MCAT (Medicine), DAT (Dentistry), and PCAT (Pharmacy). Pre-professional students that have majors in SMB are co-advised by a faculty member in the School and a professional advisor from the University College Pre-health Advising Office.
- SMB majors are successful in gaining admission to professional programs in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and veterinary medicine over a three year window
- SMB faculty are excellent resources for pre-health students: many have held faculty positions at medical schools, and others currently serve on the Admissions Committee in the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine
- The MCAT (2014) and DAT include more Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, and Genetics content than ever before
- The Biochemistry degree is a perfect match for Pre-pharmacy students since many schools require a full year of undergraduate biochemistry
- Highly motivated pre-pharmacy students can pursue a 7 year Fast track B.S. Biochemistry-Pharm.D. program offered in cooperation with the WSU School of Pharmacy
- Highly motivated pre-veterinary medicine students can pursue a 7 year Fast track B.S. Microbiology to DVM program offered in cooperation with the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine
- Because of the Biomedical research focus in SMB, many Pre-health students choose to gain experience in undergraduate research in the laboratories of SMB faculty members